Would you like a private AIX login to study AIX commands and processes,
develop shell scripts, write C programs, etc.?
For only $8 per month (26 cents per day) or $20 for three months (22 cents per day),
you can have your own secure AIX login. All you need is a computer
connected to the internet and a secure shell (SSH) client.
Current IP is
Purchasing and Setup
- email me at AIXlogin@BTBprogramming.com
(or snailMail to BTB Programming, P.O. Box 253, Frederick, MD 21705-0253)
- an eight character userid. Userids start with a letter and may include numbers.
E.g., adam1234 or jefsmith. Although userids are case sensitive, only lower-case letters will be used.
(Trust me, you would not want userids adam1234 and Adam1234 on the same server.)
- a name (gecos) associated with the account (that other users will be able to see)
E.g., Jeff Smith or Gabriel the Archangel
- the email address that should be used for correspondence regarding your account
- Send payment via Paypal to Brian@BTBprogramming.com
(or money order [sorry, no checks] made out and mailed to:
BTB Programming, P.O. Box 253, Frederick, MD 21705-0253)
- If not already available, install SSH client software on your computer.
For putty, visit Putty's website and follow their download instructions.
- Run and set up your SSH client software. The hostname/IP is
- Run putty.exe
- In the Host Name text field, enter
- In the row of radio buttons under Connection type:, click SSH.
(I would suggest entering a session name in the Saved Sessions text box and Clicking Save.
This session can then be selected and loaded in the future.)
- Click Open and login using the temporary password provided.
The system will require you to change your password.
- Please take a few minutes and read the Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
- Purchasing a login implies consent to the Terms and Conditions hereby setforth.
These Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Please check this page occassionally for any changes.
- Every attempt will be made to keep your login available 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. However, there is no guarantee.
Connectivity between your computer and mine depends on factors beyond both our controls.
- You will be notified of planned outages at login.
- Whenever possible, a five minute countdown will be given during a planned or emergency outage via
the wall command.
- There is no online helpdesk nor 24 hour tech support. For issues, please send an email to:
- Once you lock in a rate, it will never be increased so long as your account remains active.
Payment is expected by the end of the month the account expires. Payment made after
an account expires is subject to rate increases. My suggestion is to pay by the 15th for the next month.
- My policy is that there are no refunds. However, if you'd like to appeal, feel free to plead your case.
- Those referring a paying customer will receive an additional month free.
- By default, no one will have access to the data in your $HOME directory. If you'd like to set up a group
so you and your friends can share your files, just let me know.
- Currently, there is no data usage limitations and I would prefer to keep it that way. However, the system will
be audited and users with high usage will be contacted. I reserve the right to limit/remove data at my discretion.
- Data in /tmp is never backed up. Files over 31 days old and empty directories will be removed automatically.
However, the Fridge Nazi is free to (judiciously) throw things out at any time should free space become an issue.
- I shouldn't have to say this ... but ... logins are for your personal, professional and scholastic use.
Logins are not to be used:
- to create or use malicous programs
- to spy on other users
- to use or attempt to use a login not specifically assigned to you
- to attempt to login, access or monitor activity on any computer or system on the local network
or internet for which you have not been given specific authority to do so.
- to create and/or send spam or otherwise send multiple emails for any reason
In general, adhere to The Golden Rule,
mind your own business, and be a good neighbor.
- I reserve the right to refuse or discontinue service to any user for any reason.
- For you C programmers, the GNU C compiler (gcc) is available in /usr/local/bin.
- For file transfers (FTP) to/from your account, I use Filezilla.
- To use vi when not logged into your AIX account, I recommend Vim. Here's a Windows install exec.
If the previous download does not work or you have a differing OS, visit Vim's download web page
and follow their download instructions.
- The current OS is AIX 5300-11-02-1007
- For system login security, passwords:
- must be changed every 13 weeks
You will be promted at login to change your password when it has expired.
- must be 6 to 8 characters
- must contain at least one letter and one non-letter (number, punctuation, or special character)
- the same character may only be used twice
- If your password needs resetting, login using the userid pwreset (the password is newpass).
You will be prompted to enter your userid and email address.
- On the first of every month, a full backup will be run.
- On every other day of the month, a backup of all files that have been updated during the last 24 hours
will be run and kept for one month.
- You can expect to be able to restore your data for one month after it has been removed or updated.
- To restore your data, run /usr/local/bin/restore.ksh
- A working knowledge of the vi command is required to run this program.
- The program will lead you through the process of selecting only the file(s) you want restored.
- The restore will overwrite existing files. So, plan accordingly.
- For assistance, send an email to: AIXlogin@BTBprogramming.com
- You will be notified at login if your account is to expire within the next 15 days.
On or about the time your account expires, a notification by email will be sent.
- When your account expires, unless we agree otherwise, it will remain in tact
for three months at which time your account and data will be removed.
- Contact me today and let's get your AIX login created.
- Email: AIXlogin@BTBprogramming.com
- snail mail: BTB Programming, P.O. Box 253, Frederick, MD 21705-0253
- PayPal: Brian@BTBprogramming.com
Back to Home Page